Friday, June 30, 2006

Fiction addiction?

Looking at the title and me doesn't seem to go together. I read a lot. I love to read the following: lifestyle/personal growth books, sport books and even relevant text-books. I don't mind biographies, either. I love books when they have clear headings and are set out in a sequential way.

But, fiction?!?

At High School I sort of read the books I needed to read. I enjoyed the film more (which we usually got to see) and read what I had to. This is not to say I haven't read fiction books over the years and I have enjoyed them but the amount of time it takes compared to the outcome just seems inefficient. I have made the offer to my wife (and son) many times to summarise the book for me, so I can enjoy it. This seems like a "win-win" situation. I enjoy the book with them while they do what they love and read. However, I know to real fiction addicts this is abhorrent and is why such suggestions haven't been met with any real enthusiasm.

On the holidays, Nathan insisted I read a book. I skimmed through. There were no sub-headings, it was 400 pages long and with little writing, I thought it was unlikely. After consistent nagging I said I would read it, but over an unspecified time frame. Nathan agreed to fill in the blanks in regards to who was who, etc.

There were 30 chapters and so my goal was to read up to the end of chapter 3, so I could say I was a 10th of the way through the book. Then as I read further increments of 3 chapters (I just realised that has relevance to the theme of the book), it started to get me in. So much so, that I was going to read in the car when Nathan and Carolanne were in the book-shop.

Last night, the book had a real grip on me (I even skipped the Footy Show to read). I contemplated doing what I had seen my wife do for many years (stay up and read until the book is finished). "What's happening to me", I thought? This morning I had allocated as the day to get our fence fixed, but instead it is past 11am and I have been reading all morning (another thing that my wife and son do).

The book is finished. I also noticed that the book wasn't predictable as it had many twists and turns and sub-plots. All things I had heard fiction readers make reference to in the past, but this time it was like I was understanding this as an "insider" on the fiction reader sub-culture.

When I looked for the fan-fare, my wife and son wanted to know if I enjoyed the book. Well, I did but I don't think I have crossed over to the fiction side. However, my wife wanted me to record this moment.

For those who are interested, the book is called, "THR3E" by Ted Dekker.

2 comments:

Carolanne said...

It surprised me to read that you even skipped "The Footy Show" to read! As you have learned by the end of today, sometimes putting off things to finish reading a good book, is not always the wisest choice to make.
As for your "fanfare" that is what you experience for yourself when you finish reading - it's simply called,"Enjoyment of a good book".

delwynnehughes said...

The only trouble is that when you have finished you feel as though you have lost a good friend and also the excuse not to do those jobs that need doing. That is why Carolanne and Nathan have another book on the shelf ready to go again.Glad you enjoyed it Russell.